These Big Companies
Have Revealed Their Secret Recipes and We Aren’t Complaining
By LUCIA MASIP | May 20, 2020
Cover photo by @ray_zorsharp retrieved from @the.magazine.ams
As you have probably seen by now, there have been multiple companies revealing their long-lusted recipes to the public. It is undoubtedly a marketing strategy to remain relevant, while many businesses are forced to remain closed during COVID-19. We have fallen into the trap, and we ain’t complaining. As you might have noticed, a baker-mania has kicked off during quarantine. While everyone is staying at home, people are looking for some new activities to kill the time and entertain themselves. A case in point may be the absence of flour on supermarket shelves everywhere. With this said, let’s all go ahead and join the craze whilst rightfully cooking up the following buzzing recipes:
Disney Parks’ Churros
Arguably, the hype for sharing these famous recipes was kicked off by Disney when they shocked the world with their beloved Churro recipe. The recipe is not too complex, so even if you’ve never made churros before, you can give these a try. Worst case you’ll end up with fried dough which you’ll cover in sugar and cinnamon, not too bad, huh?
The Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- Combine water, butter, salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the cinnamon in 1 ½-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring pot to rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low
- Add flour and stir vigorously until the mix forms a ball. Remove from the heat and let it rest for 5-7 min. (This is an important step, leave the dough to properly rest as you don’t want the eggs to scramble!)
- Add eggs, one at a time, and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Carefully heat oil in a medium skillet or a 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat or until temperature reaches 350˚F
- Spoon dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 1-inch strips of dough over the saucepan, cut with a knife, and drop into the hot oil. Repeat until churro bites fill the saucepan with room to fry.
- Fry churro bites until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon or mesh spider strainer.
- Drain churro bites on a paper towel.
- Mix sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Toss in churro bites until coated. Place on a serving plate and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
The Chocolate Chip Cookie from DoubleTree by Hilton
Who doesn’t enjoy chocolate chip cookies, let alone homemade ones? Impress everyone, or eat them all shamelessly by yourself (my personal favourite) with this elaborate recipe which makes for around 26 cookies. They even shared a video which you can find here.
The Ingredients you’ll need:
- ½ pound butter, softened (2 sticks)
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- 2 2/3 cups chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
- Cream butter, sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, vanilla and lemon juice, blending with the mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, add flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, blending for about 45 seconds. Don’t overmix.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Portion dough with a scoop (about 3 tablespoons) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and the center is still soft.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 hour.
- Cook’s note: You can freeze the unbaked cookies, and there’s no need to thaw. Preheat the oven to 300°F and place frozen cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges are golden brown and the center is still soft.
Wagamama’s Katsu Chicken Curry
This recipe was shared by Wagamama through their cooking channel and an instagram post. Personally, as a pescetarian, I would recommend my fellow veggie-loving friends to not get discouraged by the “chicken” part of this recipe, and try tofu or any vegetarian chicken instead. Even by just making the sauce, adding chickpeas and eating it with some rice would make for a great meal! To get the instructions, Delish UK has also posted a video regarding this recipe.
The Ingredients you’ll need:
For the Sauce:
- 2–3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2.5cm piece of ginger, peeled + grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 heaped tablespoons mild
- curry powder
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 300ml chicken or veg stock
- 100ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
For the dish
- 120g rice (any rice will do!)
- 1 quantity katsu curry sauce
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (again, feel free to experiment!)
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 75ml vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 40g mixed salad leaves
McDonald’s Egg McMuffins
Released in 2015, and since then one of McDonalds bestsellers, the Egg McMuffin caused excitement amongst many. Even though it is not a hard recipe to recreate by yourself, all questions were answered once the recipe was actually shared through their official twitter account. Once again, I encourage those non-meat eaters to choose a meat alternative and still give this recipe a try!
The Ingredients you’ll need (1 McMuffin):
- An English Muffin
- 75g of sausage meat
- 2 Eggs
- American cheese slice
- Salt & pepper
- Toast the english muffin until golden brown
- Season the sausage meat, make into balls and flatten them to make patties. Cook them for around 6 min on a preheated grill on each side (or whatever the instructions say is best)
- Crack 2 eggs into a metal ring (to keep the round original shape), poor water in the small pan, and cover it. Then let cook for around 2-3 min.
- Assemble the McMuffin and add the cheese under the patty and the egg!
Ikea’s Swedish Meatballs
Finally, as you may have seen in one of our Instagram posts at @the.magazine.ams, we already shared this well known and adored recipe. Just like Wagamama’s curry recipe, this dish also has multiple steps, including the sauce and the main dish. However, don’t be fooled, it is still an easy recipe to follow.
You can find the whole recipe back in our Instagram post or here.